Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gazpacho

With the temperature reaching in the high 80s and low 90s in New York City, we suddenly realize that summer is really here and it is staying. So I decided on making a cool soup to complement the weather and cool me off. Gazpacho! Another added bonus was the ease of the recipe.

First, I chopped up some red onions, tomatoes, green bell pepper, and English cucumber. I was curious to see the difference between English cucumber, and according to Wikipedia, English cucumbers have very thin skin that is extremely edible and barely noticeable and very few seeds. So they are ideal for eating raw. Makes sense since gazpacho is basically just a raw vegetable soup.


I added some vinegar, tomato paste, tomato juice, salt, pepper, cayenne, olive oil, and thyme, and let it sit overnight in my refrigerator.


I took it out the next day and it looked like this:


I love the color and how bright everything is.

The next step was to blend it in a blender until smooth, and serve.


I also added some balsamic glaze on top in the shape of a small X.


It was definitely very good, very refreshing, and very healthy. I feel like I could live off this soup if I was a desert traveler. Not bad. And best of all, it tastes (and is) healthy!

Happy Cinco De Mayo everyone!

Sources:
Produce from FreshDirect

1 comment: